· Making lithium-ion batteries more environmentally friendly. Credit: iScience. Spent cathode material made via water processing (top) can be recovered, relithiated, and used to make new batteries
· Argentina is facing a dilemma over the future of its lithium. President Alberto Fernández and his government want to boost the sector's development, and for the state to play a prominent role in both the extraction of the mineral and the development of batteries for electric vehicles (EVs).
· Converting waste biomass into biochar is a means for solving both environmental pollution and energy shortage. Here we transformed Eichhornia crassipes, a harmful floating plant, into a honeycomb-shaped and heteroatoms-rich biochar by KOH activation during carbonization, and we tested this biochar as anode for lithium-ion batteries. Results show that the biochar has a high surface area
· The energy firm already plans to produce zero-carbon heat and power from the same hot water that contains the lithium, 5.2km (3.2 miles) underground at
· Solvay offers a portfolio of specialty polymers formulated to provide Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) batteries with long-term durability, chemical and electrochemical resistance and high-temperature performance to enhance sustainability, increase battery energy density, streamline manufacturing and reduce environmental
· Issues with environmental impact of lithium-ion battery Fish and other livestock have been found dead after drinking the polluted water. Chinese automotive firm BYD (Build Your Dreams), which is the world's largest supplier of lithium-ion batteries
How do I recharge a 12v lithium battery? Due to its low resistance, a lithium deep cycle battery is easily and rapidly rechargeable using solar panels, AC and DC to DC battery chargers. Safe to use even on the hottest summer day with operational temperatures up to 80C. Lithium deep cycle batteries are maintenance-free.
· Lithium-ion batteries are a crucial component of efforts to clean up the planet. The battery of a Tesla Model S has about 12 kilograms of lithium in it, while grid storage solutions that will help
· Lithium firms depleting vital water supplies in Chile, analysis suggests. By Ben Heubl. Published Wednesday, August 21, 2019. Evidence uncovered by E&T appears to show that lithium-mining company SQM is playing a direct role in damaging the local environment in Chile's Atacama salt flats, as its activities reduce water levels in an already
· A newly improved sorbent could offer an environmentally friendly way to get lithium from a relatively untapped resource in the U.S.: the brine produced by geothermal power plants (Environ.Sci.
· Of the 180,000 metric tons of Li-ion batteries available for recycling worldwide in 2019, just a little over half were recycled. As lithium-ion battery production soars, so does interest in recycling.
· A race is on to produce lithium in the United States, but competing projects are taking very different approaches to extracting the vital raw material. Some might not be very green.
· As the US shifts to extract lithium from domestic sources, investors are eyeing new mines and opportunities to secure contracts with battery companies and automakers. Lithium
· Lithium resources are divided into two main categories: solids (e.g. minerals ores, recycled waste lithium-ion batteries, and electronic waste), and liquids (e.g. salt-lake brine, geothermal brine, and seawater) .For the current commercial lithium production, the continental brine is the biggest resource (59%), followed by hard rock (25%), hectorite (7%), and geothermal brines (3%) .